Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Posting Files to a Blogger.com-Hosted Blog

As you may be aware, I have been trying to provide the PowerPoint file for my USPTO blog presentation to my readers via a link on this blog. I am finding that this is not as easily done as I had first thought (see previous posting). Yesterday I thought that I was onto the answer by signing up with the file-sharing service Ares. In theory, I should have been able to post my file to the Web for download or allow file sharing directly off of my computer, thus allowing readers to access my PP presentation from this blog.

My (it turns out, rather diabolical) plans were proceeding along well until I had a technical question and contacted my employer’s IT dept. to assist. Well, it turns out that IT departments do not like their network users to download and use file sharing software. This is because of security holes that file sharing programs can create. The result was that I ended up removing the Ares software from my computer.

I also checked with my IT department about using FTP transfer to provide the presentation, and they have similar security concerns about this process. They did suggest one other potential alternative, which I will check out.

What we have learned so far, though, is that it apparently is not easy to provide access to files using the Blogger.com hosting service. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I would appreciate hearing them.

0 comments: